Search

Google
 

Monday, September 08, 2008

The Modern Man: American Scourge

(Today’s blog is written as if lecturing a teenager or doing a political announcement.)

Today I want to talk to you about a scourge that hasn’t been addressed by either the Republicans or the Democrats since the election began. If you want to talk about threats to our country, this is right up there with fast food, gas prices, and Tila Tequila.

I’m so upset about this problem that I can no longer keep silent.  

I’m talking about grown men walking small dogs.

Hey, don’t make excuses about having to clean the garage. You need to listen to this, mister!

I’m not talking about walking puppies, who will eventually grow to be large Labs or Retrievers. I’m talking about men walking mini-poodles, tiny Chihuahuas, or any another breed that can rip your socks off.

Men, look at me. Stop pretending you’re gazing at your cell phone looking for messages.

This is serious.

Walking a tiny dog, or even owning one is emasculating this country.
I understand that certain lines have been blurred since the 50’s, and that is okay. With the modern household, a lot of sharing of responsibilities goes on to make it run smoothly.

However, a dog is not on the same lines as doing laundry or the dishes. A dog tells a lot about who you are as a friend and human being.

Plus, there are many activities we, as males, can participate in that some might consider unmanly but really aren’t.  They are miles away from owning a tiny dog.

For one, we can cook, which some find womanly, but then, many of the great chefs are men. Plus, if you cook, you don’t have to worry about your wife or girlfriend poisoning you.

We can garden, which some men would consider ladylike. However, gardening is a step away from farming, you get dirty, and can even get wounded cutting a rose bush. I mean, that’s pretty manly stuff.

But tiny dogs?

If you can carry your dog without pulling a groin (a very manly thing, indeed) you have finally crossed the line into skirtdom, and not the cool Scottish ones in Braveheart.

The next thing you know you’ll be getting manicures, drinking chardonnay, and watching the Oxygen Network.

Maybe you’re doing this already. Are you? Why are you looking away?
How can we fight the war on terror, the war on drugs, and the war against family values with a dog the sized of a meatloaf?

I mean, how do you feel when you knock on someone’s door and you hear the high pitched yap! yap! yap! of a little fur ball? Does it instill you with a feeling of manliness? No! You need to hear the deep baying of a large dog. The baying that says, “Stay away!” or “I”ll bite you!” or in our dog’s case, “I will possibly lick you to death!”

Those are manly sounds.

If you can buy your dog food in cat food sizes, you’ve got serious issues. I mean, think about who is famous for little bitty dogs: Women celebrities and the French.

If your dog can fit in a purse, you’ve got issues, my friend. Should I buy you a purse? Should I????! (And I'm not talking about a man purse.)

Oh, I hear you whining. “My wife made me do it!” “They don’t shed as much!” “They don’t have poop the size of Clydesdales, only stinkier!” We’ll, when the war against our families’ values start, or Tila Tequila shows up on your doorstep, is your schnauzer going to defend you? In the winter, will that dog keep the whole bed warm? Can that dog even catch a Frisbee, since the Frisbee is bigger? Can they fight off a mountain lion, or pull a dog sled in the Yukon?

Hey, don’t walk away. I’m not finished yet. Think about all the great television, book, and movie dogs: Lassie, Old Yeller, Fang.

They were all fairly butch dogs, even if some of them were girls. And on top of that, at the end of Where the Red Fern Grows, or Call of the Wild, "Ol Yeller" or even Baldo been as gut wrenching of the dogs were bloody mini-poodles or laso opsos, I mean lasu upsos, I mean those little white fluffy dogs who don't shed????

I think not.

(Imagine:  Travis taking Ol' Yeller away with his shotgun, but it's a lhasa apso.  Not quite the same, is it?)

So, America, let’s get this under control.

Let’s take America back from this god-awful display of wimpiness.

Let’s all get big dogs.

Now, wish me luck. I have to clean up the backyard.

1 comment:

Modern Young Man said...

Hey,
I've just started blogging and came across your blog!
I totally agree - men with small dogs is just wrong...